Introduction to Menopause
A natural part of aging in women defined as the time of not having periods for at least a year is what menopause is termed as. Menopause is a transition into a new phase of life and is the cessation of women’s menstrual cycle where women can no longer become pregnant naturally. Menopause usually begins between the age of 45 and 55 and can be developed before and after this range as well.
Menopause is divided into 3 stages.
- Perimenopause: It is the transitional time that usually begins several years before the actual menopause happens. It lasts around 12 months and is the point at which ovaries stop releasing eggs.
- Menopause: It is the time when it has been a year since you have had a menstruation cycle.
- Postmenopause: It is the time or the years after menopause in which women tend to get menopause symptoms like hot flashes, dizziness, etc.
Why does Menopause occur?
As said by the best gynecologist in dubai, menopause is not an illness; it is a phase of life. Every woman has to deal with it, some may experience it early and some may experience it a bit later.
- Natural Menopause: The levels of hormones in the body tend to fall because they are no longer necessary to support reproduction which leads to natural menopause.
- Surgery and treatments: If a person undergoes surgery to remove the ovaries, they experience menopause. Other treatments like radiotherapy and chemotherapy can also cause ovaries to stop releasing eggs which may lead to temporary or permanent menopause.
- Premature menopause: The women who experience menopause before the age of 40 to 45 doctors consider this premature menopause. Premature menopause can be developed due to genetic conditions, an autoimmune disease, or any rare infection like Tuberculosis, mumps, etc.
What are the symptoms affecting?
- Hot flashes: One of the most common witnessed symptoms is hot flashes. IT causes a person a sudden sensation of heat in the upper body.
- Vaginal atrophy: It leads to vaginal dryness and thinning of the tissues. It also leads to pain in urinary tract infections, sex, and vaginitis.
- Irregular menstruation: It is the first symptom that helps you decide that your menopause is approaching. You may experience delayed periods, irregular flow, less or more flow.
- Low fertility: At the end of the reproductive stage the estrogen level starts to fall which reduces the chances of becoming pregnant.
- Sleep disturbances: Due to other symptoms like anxiety, night sweats, hot flashes, etc a woman can have sleep disturbances.
Diagnosis and treatments
Diagnosis: With doctors serving the best till now there is no blood or medical test that can diagnose menopause. As it is a natural process happening in an individual’s body the only option to know about menopause is to sit and observe your missing periods for 12 months.
As menopause is a natural transition, the treatment for the same is also easy. Anyone who needs access can visit the doctors. People residing in Dubai can visit Dr. Elsa is a female gynecologist in Dubai.
A doctor may recommend the below-mentioned treatments and therapies.
- Hormone therapy
- Pain relief medications like counter gels for vaginal dryness, pills, and creams.