Material handling is an important aspect in industrial, commercial and office environments. Proper material handling helps businesses eliminate accidents, reduce stress and effort and minimize the time spent and distribution. To ensure goods material handling is both safe and efficient, the industry must have a well-thought-out process and it should train its employees to implement this process effectively. Another key component is the equipment like folding platform trolley that can make it easier for workers to maneuver materials around.
EQUAL products feature a range of wheeled transport solutions that will be utilized in industrial and commercial environments. Our platform trolley range provides industries with versatility and superior maneuverability. EQUAL products are durable, crafted with care and of prime quality.
Platform trolleys give employees a hand to maneuver heavy objects and loads from one place to another. If possible everyone should avoid manual loads handling to reduce back workplace accidents. If you’re employing a trolley, or are managing employees who are using platform hand trolleys at work, it’s crucial you're diligent and take the required precautions for ultimate workplace safety.
So, we’ve put together a super-quick informative guide the way to properly handle a platform hand trolley. This guide offers tips and advice on the safe handling of a platform hand truck and trolley. For more detail on the way to handle trolleys safely, please seek advice from the supplier or manufacturer.
Advice For Safe Material Handling
A huge 62% of workers are unaware of basic health & safety rules in India.
So, before using a platform trolley, there are few things that you must concede to avoid mishandling of the equipment which could lead to injury.
It is good to carry out a risk assessment that involves answering a couple of simple questions. A Risk Assessment could be a careful examination of what, in your work, could cause harm or injury to people – and will be administered by employers. In reference to the subject of manual handling - the primary question is usually the same (regardless of the moving task).
Does the load be moved comfortably without the need for manual handling?
If the answer is not yes, then the subsequent considerations should be taken place:
- Is the platform trolley designed for the task in hand & can the load be moved safely without risk of private injury or damage to the load or property.
- Is the proposed route clear of obstructions?
- Are surface conditions suitable for the platform trolley to maneuver smoothly?
- Equipment must not be handled when under the influence of drugs or alcohol, have a significant injury or feelings of tiredness.
- The platform trolley should only be employed by those deemed capable of handling the load. What could also be safe one person might not be safe for another.
- Where applicable make sure the brakes are on when the platform trolley is stationary particularly on sloping ground.
- Never plan to lift a load that you simply think you or your equipment cannot handle – get help or split the load
- Always wear suitable loose-fitting clothing, safety footwear, and gear. Make use of private protective equipment where appropriate.
- Never intentionally create large loads when a variety of small loads are a safer alternative
- Ensure the employee is capable of moving the trolley.
- Make sure the operator can safely load and unload the trolley (anything over 25 kg they'll need assistance – counting on the operator)
- A loaded trolley should never be left unattended
- Check the condition of the trolley before using it.
Techniques For Safe Handling Of A Platform Trolley
When it comes to handling platform trolley, there are various aspects the operator must consider to ensure safe use, these include:
1. Beware of SLOPE
There’s a possible risk of the platform trolley tipping over a slope. Make sure that the load is evenly distributed and you've got a firm grip on the trolley. Beware that the trolley may tip if the slope is just too steep and therefore the load is too heavy.
2. Applying Force
The force needed to maneuver a loaded trolley is roughly 2-3% of the entire weight. This may also depend upon other factors like the surface, type of wheels and therefore the strength of the operator. You’ll be able to apply more force by leaning your body weight into the load, to make the work easier.
3. Uneven Surface
You’re likely to come across difficult and uneven surfaces when pushing your platform trolley. Softer grounds, like sand or mud, will likely need more force. Confirm you're using the right wheel for the surface to avoid the accident.
4. Loading The Platform Trolley
Load only items onto the platform trolley that you can do without any injury. If the item is just too heavy, ask for assistance from another person.
5. Unloading The Platform Trolley
When you are unloading the platform trolley, carefully drop the load onto the platform. To do this safely, lower the load gently from a low height.
Caring For Platform Trolley
If you take proper care of your platform trolley, it'll remain at its best and safest condition. Here are a couple of tips to consider.
- Platform trolleys should all have wheels that are checked for quality and replaced if worn out as manual handling regulations state that any handling equipment must be maintained on a daily basis.
- Keep your platform trolley clean and within the absolute best condition by keeping it safe in an exceedingly clean and dry location. Checking for cracked or damaged welds
- The platform trolley should never be loaded above the recommended weight capacity. Always seek advice from the supplier which trolley would be best fitted to the work.
Common Types of Platform Trolley (According to Weight Capacity)
Where To Buy Platform Trolley
If you want to buy trolleys in bulk you must go for an authorized platform trolley manufacturer or supplier. And if you want to buy a single or two-piece, you can either choose a retailer or you can buy platform trolley online from an authorized distributor or brand.
EQUAL is one of the leading brands and manufacturers of platform trolley, aluminium ladder, weighing scale, recliner chair, and weighbridge.
If you're curious about any of our manual handling products, trucks or trolleys, or material equipment services, or if you'd like any more information, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Article Source: EQUAL